"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day at the Lodge

Where charity stands watching, and faith holds wide the door,

The dark night wakes, the glory breaks,

and Christmas comes once more.




Last evening we attended the Carol Sing at our church, followed by our annual Christmas Eve Eucharist. The church was very full, the choir sang beautifully, the sermon was both inspiring and joyous and funny. It marked our Rector's "third anniversary" with us.

This morning, as always on Christmas Day, we had breakfast with fresh ground coffee beans (gift from his sister) and fresh squeezed orange juice (gift from my brother.) I brought up the stockings from the downstairs fireplace.



We had a good time emptying them.



Ruth & Jewel really enjoyed their healthy dog treats.

Then we went into the sitting room where the tree waited. General Porter's eye was upon us!



Ruth picks out some prezzies.



Some of my treats--a new bathrobe, lots of photo printing supplies, scented candle, kitchen stuff.

The funniest one for us both...I had searched all over the bookstore for this on Wednesday. Only to learn this morning that my spouse had purchased the only copy earlier in the week!



One of our relatives visited the Spam Museum in Minnesota. We are assured that the car air freshener does not actually smell like Spam. (I've never eaten Spam, but I like the word. And the Monty Python song!)



The Chap was happy that I'd spend the night in my Sock Monkey pajamas, because it really added to the impact when I unwrapped my new Sock Monkey slippers.



Among the gifts from my family, this beautiful peacock purse from my mom.



Jewel wonders if we're finished.



I have a very funny video of Jewel's reaction to one of my gifts, which I will share some other day.

After presents, I made the Key Lime tarts to take to our friends' house where we're having Christmas dinner.



Hope your day was just as fun and filled with gifts and love and laughter.


No comments: