"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve

This was an extremely busy week. I suspect that is true of others and that nobody actually noticed how many days I went without blogging!

We had overnight company on Monday, a great pre-holiday occasion with excellent wine, paella, scrummy salad, and homemade mango sorbet. And lots of fun and laughter and dog cuddling.

There was also a cribbage match. I was not involved because I don't play.



Our guest beat the Chap 2 games out of 3. I think they both enjoyed themselves. The dogs and I enjoyed watching.

I worked on revisions on Tuesday after our company departed.

Yesterday I was in Concord for a meeting with the Bishop, last minute (highly successful) shopping for the Chap, and a mandolin lesson. I'm learning 12-bar blues now, and lots of interesting theoretical stuff. Yes, there is such a thing as blues mandolin! Mostly when I'm playing these days, I choose Advent hymns and Christmas carols.

At the P.O. I picked up a gift from my brother. A big, big, big box filled with citrus-y delights. That's only about half of it!



This morning the Chap is at the office--home at noon--and I'm trying to work a bit myself. This afternoon we'll begin Operation Monkfish. More on that later, I'm sure. It promises to be another well-photographed holiday meal.

It's the traditional day when I decorate the girls and pose them for their holiday photo. Posing on the stairs is a fairly regular occurrence, and they were particularly good about it today. I got about 25 shots, most of them perfectly acceptable and had a tough time choosing The One.



And yet my favourite came after I dismissed them. Luckily I was still being a shutterbug and captured this one:



Hope you're having a jolly Christmas Eve, too. A Happy Christmas to all!


No comments: