"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, February 12, 2010

Waiting

It's indicative of this week that the only time for blogging is now, as I wait for my Mercedes to be serviced. The customer lounge here at the dealership is one of the perks of having a posh car. Wifi, coffee on demand with a Keurig machine, comfy leather chairs, wall-mounted flat-screen tv. All I lack are some cuddly dogs!

Tuesday was incredibly hectic. Chairs & Vice Chairs at 8:30. From there I raced to the Fish & Game Department in the State Office Complex for some presentations on Search & Rescue and non-game wildlife management programs. Headed back to the State House block for a delicious and informative luncheon hosted by the county Farm Bureau. After that the F&G committee held an executive session on our 3 remaining (and most controversial) bills, all of which we killed. Returning home I made sure the pups were fed, then the Chap and I headed out for planning meeting with clergy and lay folks in our convocation (pizza supper!) followed by the convocation meeting itself. Home by 9:30 and my head was spinning.

The Wednesday House of Reps session will go down in the annals as one of the strangest and most frustrating. It was long, but could've been longer. I won't go into all the details. If you're inclined, you can read about it here. I suppose it's not a bad thing that the public becomes aware of the Consent Calendar and how it works, although some seem not to understand the necessity or desirability. I felt like a hostage until we adjourned a bit after 5 p.m.

That night we had company and celebrated a special occasion.

Yesterday afternoon was a Concord day. My Friend from the North Country is spending a few days with us, and we each had meetings and I had my lesson and we had lunch together and eventually there was a Diocesan Council meeting and we got home in time to make shawarma for dinner. She showed me how to cast off, so my super-long scarf is now finished and in fact I am wearing it at this very moment because it beautifully matches my top as well as my jacket.

On the way home I'll pick up some new yarn to stat another project.

Revising happens at times.

This weekend is the Audubon Society's annual Backyard Bird Count, so I've got my form ready to fill out and will be making my observations throughout the weekend. Hope all the cool birdies show up to be counted!

The weather has been amazing...bright and dry, though we had a trickle of non-accumulating snow on Wednesday. All the snow is to our south, and it's so very strange. The sled dog championship races have been cancelled or at least postponed, the snowmobile registrations are down, our overall economy is adversely affected by the lack of snow. Meanwhile, it piles up in places where people are not accustomed to dealing with it! And poor Vancouver could use some, too, with the Winter Olympics starting up.

I haven't had a great deal of time to think about Valentine's Day. Until now!


No comments: