"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Oops!

Yesterday was beautiful, but the driving conditions on the badly-plowed roads in my area were lousy.

I was almost home after a post office/shopping/Christmas card copying excursion when I spun out on a patch of black ice and this happened.





All I can say is, thank God for sturdy Scandinavian automobiles. Thank God I was driving the posted speed limit. Thank God the roadside snow bank slowed my descent. Thank God I hit the birch saplings instead of the massive 200 year old oak right beside them. Thank God for cellphones. Thank God my husband was only 5 minutes away.

I emerged--on the passenger side--without a scratch or even a bruise. The car is still drive-able, but it already has an appointment at the body shop.

And especially warm thanks to all you countless, nameless Good Samaritans who stopped to see if I was okay and offered help! Our tow truck man did arrive, eventually, after a long wait. He was having a busy day....

We were supposed to go to a party that afternoon/evening, just down the road from the scene of my accident. But I was feeling a little shaken and not terribly sociable--and more than a little reluctant to confront that treacherous stretch of road again. In the dark.


No comments: