"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, December 04, 2006

Lagging

Still lagging about. Despite the consumption of those embarrassingly unsaleable chocolate cookies, I'm enervated.

In my previous posting, I meant to say "Polonium 210", not 120. Naturally I blame persistent jet lag for my number dyslexia.

On Saturday and Sunday night, I stretched out in the downstairs sitting room, like an invalid, and watched the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship dog show on Animal Planet. In this Border Collie and Husky household, we cheer on the Herding dogs and the Working dogs. Wee Ruth curled up at the far end of the sofa--on her mended LL Bean bed--and watched the dogs inside the tv with great interest. When she wasn't sleeping.

As of yesterday it's Advent, so my head is filled with the hymns of the season. Our church made a ton of $$$ from the fair, and after the service we added to the takings by purchasing some delicious discounted baked goods, including a most excellent loaf of fresh bread. It makes lovely toast, perfect for spreading with butter and the Gentlemen's Relish I purchased at Fortnum's the other day.

Forgot to mention that just before we departed London, David Starkey's Monarchy programme featured the monarchs in my novel--William III and Mary II, and Queen Anne--which from my perspective was well-timed. I didn't learn anything I didn't already know, but Starkey made a fine job of it. I'd been spouting most of these facts to the Chap for days on end, as we traipsed about royal sites, so he had to hear it all again.

Before the trip I bought the new cd by Yusuf, the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens. It's been a mere three decades since his last studio album. On An Other Cup he still sounds just like Cat, vocally and in his production techniques. The tunes are mellow enough to suit me in this lagging state.

The next two days are crazy busy--meeting with the Bishop, meeting with a Bishop's Canon, Party Caucus meeting, getting sworn in as a Legislator, swearing-in after-party--so I won't feel guilty for being a slug all of today. I've accomplished some writing tasks, but nothing terribly taxing. Or impressive.


No comments: