"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Many Positive Developments

My extremely busy day began at the church, where I had a brief tutorial by the current parish website administrator, now retiring from that role and handing it off to me. I also bagged the warm socks and knitted scarves and mittens the parishioners donated during the holiday season--they will be dropped off at local welfare offices for those who need them this winter. It's finally turning cold in New England, so I wasted no time making deliveries at two town offices.

Then I headed for the city to drop off something for the Chap at the diocesan office. From there, I walked over to the State House to drop off paperwork of my own. If you want to skip over the cool discovery I made while there, you can jump right down to my incredibly awesome visit to our new library.



At the State House I handed in my signature form as a bill co-sponsor (!!) I'm already legislating--or trying to!

I collected my official nametag from my mail cubbyhole in the lobby of Representatives Hall--eventually it'll be relegated to backup status, because I also placed my order for the upgraded version: shiny, fancy, brass-edged, engraved with the State seal. I ordered business cards, too.

I checked out my assigned seat in Representatives Hall. Didn't get my top choice, but it's in the same geographical area and I like the view and it's convenient to the lobby and almost on the aisle.

That was my impression before my incredible discovery....

During a conversation with the director of the visitors' center (a constituent), I mentioned I'd just inspected my seat. Her colleague (a former Rep) asked my seat number. When I gave it, her eyes widened in recognition. It was an unexpected reaction, and when she reached for a copy of the House Manual to look it up, I started to worry that this particular chair had really bad karma, or a sordid history.

Quite the contrary, it's a most honourable location. Evidently one of its previous occupants was a higly respected Manchester legislator who had a long tenure and did many wonderful things. Consequently I left the State House in a very upbeat mood, determined to maintain my hallowed seat's excellent reputation.

If I can't live up to it, or enhance it, at least I'll try hard not to impair it!

~~~~~~

Before going home, I stopped in at the new library. All month long, the books and furniture have been arriving and now everyting is in its place. Last time I was there, the stacks had just been positioned...in the interim there's been quite a transformation.

On my way in, I snapped the the Porter Adult Reading Area--located in the bumped-out front portion of the building.

outside view of the Porter Adult Reading Area

Here it is--part of it.
the Porter Adult Reading Area

I didn't get a view with the long reading table, or the window seats behind the leather chairs.

I sat down in one of the chairs (very comfy!) to examine a couple of books on dog behaviour. I checked out both of them, along with that highly-lauded book about the pig. As well as a history book.

"Our" reading room has a great view towards the historic Town Hall and the hills beyond.

In another reading room, there's a fireplace.



After a few additional errands in the next town over, I returned home in a glorious good mood. I'm glad to see ice forming on our little lake...I'm not accustomed to open water in late December, it doesn't look right.




No comments: