"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Like Living in a Snow Globe

Snow began falling sometime after the dogs had their 7:30 breakfast but before humans officially left their warm bed at--well, I won't say when! It's Ruth's second snowfall. She enjoys tasting snowflakes. Who doesn't?



While standing out on our big deck in my white flannel nightgown and blue fleece bathrobe, waiting for the male cardinal to pose properly, this red-breasted nuthatch arrived at the nearest feeder.



And then I got my cardinal-in-the-snow shot.



I think we'll end up with about 3 inches.

Last evening the Chap and I attended a dinner party given by a pair of friends. It was a lovely gathering attended by people I sort of knew and many I didn't know at all, but it was quite an interesting and talkative group. The meal was outstanding, as usual. One of our hosts is a V.I.P. in my life--as indeed he is in this state and across our nation--and internationally. Our other friend I don't see as often and am always thrilled when I do.

The end-of-year holiday crept up on us...today we've planned menus for upcoming festive meals, and the Chap is heading out into the snowy world to score some champagne and various necessary ingredients.


No comments: