"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, December 31, 2007

Office Views

View from my office windows this snowy New Year's Eve.




My mind and heart are full on this last day of a most busy year, which brought so much. Fresh responsibilities, interesting challenges, new-met friends (in person and online and even both), wonderful discoveries, precious journeys, countless words written (never enough!), a third dog. I am grateful for my parents and brother, and the bond of love that overcomes a separation of so many miles. And I'm ever thankful for my husband, with whom I shall quietly ring in this mysterious and promising New Year. By the fireside. With bubbly. And a trio of canines.

Today's accumulation may well match or exceed the monthly record for snowfall. It's apparently the snowiest December because this morning we've overtaken the record that stood since 1876.

Here at the Lodge, we've got 10 inches. Maybe a foot. No wind, and only a few degrees below freezing. I shovelled the steps of the dogs' deck without any difficulty--other than freaking out about the height of some of the snow piles round here!

Reportedly New Year's Day will bring even more...as finished 2007, so begins 2008. May it be a happy, fulfilling, prosperous one for all!



No comments: