"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, June 22, 2008

See Who's Strolling


I strolled before church. Later in the morning I met other strollers...pictured after the flowers....

Rose of the Day: Celsiana, damask rose, prior to 1750. How I love this rose! Usually the first of my damasks to blossom.



Clothilde Soupert is a small pale, pale pink flower with many petals tighly arranged, on the tiniest little bush imaginable. She's a polyantha.



Therese Bugnet, one of many rugosa hybrids in my gardens, is a big blowsy girl, massively fragrant, on a shrub taller than I am.



My beloved gallica, Rosa Mundi.



A new rose this season, of the pimpinellifolia species, William III. I got it because King William is a character in my novel.



For a change, something not a rose: foxglove.



Driving to church I met a pair of Sunday strollers in the meadow nearby, a pair of deer. Probably the same pair we met at dusk last night, coming home from a dinner party. By the time I grabbed the camera and switched it on, they had spotted me and the first one had headed into the wood.



Coming home from church, I met a mother ruffed grouse leading her chicks, about half-a-dozen, across the road. My reaction time was a little better, but most of the chicks had already crossed the road ahead of mum.



She wasn't too keen on my vehicle. She "ruffed up" her neck feathers.



Happy strolling to you, wherever your strolls may take you! I'm about to load beasts and food into the car to join the Chap at the Big Lake...my next stroll will be with him and Ruth and Jewel.

For more links to other strollers, visit Aisling.


No comments: