"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, September 15, 2008

Activities

Here I am with the Governor last Thursday. Is my choice of skirt too frivolous?



On the opposite wall, staring down at us, was a big giant moose head. The photo was taken at Bridges House, the official "residence" of the Governor (once the home of Gov. Stiles Bridges). Nowadays it isn't occupied, it's a site for hospitality and functions. In other words, a party house!

The Chap and I headed up to the cottage on Saturday. My sisters-in-law, the girls from Minneapolis, were there, too. I wore my authorly t-shirt...as a warming to family members!



(Having laundered it yesterday, I'm sporting it again today. A warning to the workmen who are demolishing and re-constructing our master bath. If I wrote a novel about this ongoing project it would definitely be an epic, with many twists and turns.)

At this time of year there's very little boat traffic but we saw lots of air traffic in the Bay. Three helicopters zoomed low over the water, it looked as if they were in pursuit of a boat.

We also spotted this hang-glider, gliding over our neighbour's antique wooden Cris Craft, on its regular late afternoon cruise.



A floatplane, and another boat.



Somebody (not me) had a craving for cake and had purchased Duncan Hines cake mix, a product with which we were all unfamiliar. Even so, the sheet cake turned out pretty well.



I assumed that after all the chilly weather last week, the lake would be much too cold for swimming. Because it was 72 degrees, I decided to go in. The water felt fantastic! It wasn't long before the girls joined me.

I'd love to use this as a campaign photo...



...although I suppose this one is rather more dignified.




No comments: