"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Laughing to keep from....

...well, not crying. I'm plenty cheerful.

Screaming, maybe?

I assumed--silly me--that once our long-planned and long-anticipated Diocesan Council Retreat was over, things would quiet down a bit. Not so.

Yesterday, apart from some campaign busy work, was my recovery day, and very therapeutic. I shifted tender plants from screened porch and deck into their winter quarters inside the house. I pruned and watered and fertilised (the ones setting buds) and sniffed fragrant blossoms.

Then I enjoyed a long soak in the Jacuzzi with Bath salts from Bath (England), while reading a novel and admiring the fresh décor of the master bath.

Today, and the rest of this week, are sheer madness.

I was sorting through New Yorker cartoons--I rip them from the magazine pages and keep little piles of them on my office desk and in the downstairs sitting room for overwhelming moments when I need a smile or a giggle to keep me sane.

Here's an old favourite. I have a great affection for rodents, large and small, and these two shady characters really tickle my fancy.



A month ago, at the National Zoo, the cartoon was top of mind when I encountered this creature:




And this one:




No comments: