"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

One in the Bag

One vote, that is.

When the Chap and I stopped at the Post Office on Saturday, we spotted a friend in the parking lot and waved. She came racing up to the car, looked right at me and announced, "I'm a registered Republican, but I've already voted for you."

We don't have early voting here. She'd filed an absentee ballot because she'll be travelling to Florida.

I thanked her for her support.

Nice to know my appeal to swing voters is intact. Also nice to learn that other people vote for the person more than the party. As I do.

Candidates' order on the ballot is based on a randomly chosen alphabet letter. Two years ago, the chosen letter was M. We had no M, N, or O candidates on our side of the ticket, meaning yours truly was at the top of the State Rep heap in my party's column.

This year the random letter is K. We have no L, M, N, or O candidates. Guess who's on top again? Check out the official sample ballot:



Yesterday was astonishingly productive on the church, state, and writing fronts. The Chap is attending an overnight conference in-state, so my solitude continued through the evening and I put it to good use.

The trees round the Lodge continue to put on a fine show.



I have a music lesson and errands today--more leaf peeping ahead.


No comments: