"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

How much snow have we here at the Lodge? The best illustration is the track the Chap maintains so our fuel oil delivery man can reach the input for the tank behind the house.



Usually it looks like that in oh, February! We think we have 2 feet of snow on the ground at least.

I cannot recall a busier Christmas Eve Eve. Yesterday morning the girls had a rollicking trip to the vet. When I loaded them into the car, they were convinced we were headed to the lake cottage for a nice long walk to the Point! Sorry, but no. Jewel had her annual exam, and except for a couple of jabs and toenail clipping (requiring 2 vet techs to hold her down), she was extremely well-behaved. Our vet examined a red spot on Ruth's paw and sent us home with a tiny bottle of medicine to apply. Both girls are very popular, they loved all the attention (except when it involved the clippers). I love that they each got pedicures! I do it at home when I must, but am far happier to let professionals handle it!

Twice last week on my errands runs, at the same time of morning, I spotted the flock of wild turkeys in a friend's cornfield, fairly near the road, picking over the stubble. Now the snow has covered the stubble. No more turkeys. The deer are on the move, they've carved deep trails in the snow in a nearby meadow.

After dropping the girls at home, I hastened to the capitol city to meet 2 friends (Bishop's canons) for lunch. We strolled down 2 blocks to Main Street--and had to maneuvre through great piles of snow along walkways and right down the center of the street! So nice, catching up on our lives and news before we scatter for the holidays, a perfect kick-off to my Christmas celebrations. The chaps generously bought my lunch...as I only ate a starter (Blarney puffs in Guinness cheese sauce) it didn't set them back too much.

Then my mandolin lesson. Then the state liquor store (crazy crowded) for holiday libations. Then the shopping center--terrible traffic, hardly any parking spaces--and B*rd*rs to pick up a little something from the Chap. The checkout line ran from the registers all the way to the reference section, practically at the back of the store, but it moved like lightning! Ran into friends, a former legislator and a current one.

My lunch had put me in such a sunny mood--as did the sunshine--that nothing could mar it, not the frantic shoppers or the crazy drivers. The weather crises (ice storm, blizzard) means everyone was behind, and you could tell by their faces. I smiled and smiled, and many smiled back. I wasn't shopping with a Plan, yet miraculously discovered several items that the Chap can really, truly use, as gifts and stocking stuffers. This success boosted my spirits even more!

Last night we watched the Grinch on telly.

Another programme I've been watching is PBS's Great Performances, the San Francisco Ballet's production of The Nutcracker. Quite the most visually attractive and engaging version, its design based upon the 1915 World's Fair in SF. We can access 4 different PBS stations via satellite or antenna, and whenever the ballet repeats, I tune in!

Right now I'm listening to Lessons & Carols on BBC Radio 4.

It's a messy morning. The Chap was at his office but has early release.

The girls are festively attired and eagerly awaiting Santa's arrival.



They're also keeping watch over interesting occurrences outdoors.



They join me in wishing you a most merry holiday!



To all my blog visitors and other bloggers, whatever you're celebrating, may this season bring you joy!



No comments: