"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Very Lodge-y Christmas

When I was a little child, my Sunday School teacher taught me that on Christmas morning, my first thought on waking should never be, "I wonder what Santa brought me?" but instead, "Today is Jesus's birthday!" And being the teachable, obedient sort, every year I follow her sage advice.



What the Chap brought me on Christmas Eve.



Last night at church we had a Carol Sing before the Christmas Eve service. Both were lovely.

After breakfast (I ate grapefruit from the vast supply of Florida citrus my brother sent us!) and special coffee (from his sister), freshly ground, we had our stockings.



First we take care of the girls. New chew toys all round!




My stocking contains the usual delicacies from abroad. Including the chunky Kit-Kat made only in the UK! Hooray! (Like the girls, I, too, get chewables!)



Among other things, the Chap finds the proof set of the new UK coinage--exactly what he wanted! Purchased at the Tower of London.



After stockings, we went to the downstairs sitting room for the Queen's Speech on BBC America--broadcast from the Music Room at Windsor. "We were just there!" we cried in unison.

More coffee, then we headed to the upstairs sitting room--and the Tree!

A very savvy relative sent each of us this t-shirt:



From British friends:



Huggable Hounds--I Haz Dem!



I asked for a new laundry hamper for Xmas...and it came fully loaded!



An ideal present for the incoming Vice Chair of the Fish & Game Committee!



This year's gifts followed several themes: kitchen-y, bed 'n' bath, electronic, traditional/annual, goofy. The pile of pressies dwindled into mounds of wrapping paper and empty boxes.

Look, a foot massager! (To match my new fuzzy blue lounging socks from the Chap!) Ruth is bored, nothing to with her.



The excitement over, it swiftly becomes a Very Yawn-y Christmas--for the girls!



We have our festive meal later in the day. After a light lunch there's downtime for phoning family members and friends across the country--and the world--and emailing photos similar or identical to the above. Fairly soon I shall busy myself with heating up our Christmas pudding--made for us specially by an English friend in her French kitchen (!) and hunting for my brandy butter recipe. The Chap has just taken Ruth & Jewel for a snowy, sunny, breezy walk. Soon the Lodge will smell of plums, other dried fruits, and spices. We'll be sure to flame up the pudding properly before serving!

Happy Christmas to all!


No comments: