"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, June 04, 2010

Lingering @ The Lodge

I've not spent a full ay at the Lodge since I don't know when. I'm often here for partial days--before heading up to the cottage, or after my return from there, prior dashing to Concord for official duties or music lesson or errands. I'd intended to go to the Big Lake on this pleasant Friday but thought better of it. Mostly I really wanted to be here, to experience all that happens on the mornings that I choose not to be here.

All the feeders have been busy. Here are just a few of the visitors:

The oriole.




One member of our large flock of jays.



The male rose-breasted grosbeak. We have 2 resident ones, and they each have mates.



The male cardinal. Haven't seen the female today, perhaps she's sitting the nest.



I weeded this flower bed the other day. The pink lupine is looking lovely.



After lunch I'll weed the big rose bed in front of the house. Where, for the first time ever, this specimen is in bloom:



It's called Antique 89, and though a modern hybrid it mimics older varieties in form and fragrance. I planted it a few years ago and finally it decided to flower...there are other buds opening up. Why, you might wonder, do I endure a non-productive plant for so long? Well, I've got plenty of space and plenty of patience.

In the dogs' yard, the rugosas along the fence are putting on a wonderful show.



Jewel thinks she hears a chipmunk.



Ruth is thinking about a nap.



Yesterday was hectic--had my car serviced, a mandolin lesson, and took Ruth to the vet to investigate a skin problem along her spine. The result of that last visit was Ruth getting tons of love and affection from the staff, receiving 2 bottles of pills (a steroid and an antibiotic), and having a sizeable portion of fur sheared off right in the middle of her back. I suspected they would shave her. Her outward beauty is temporarily impaired but her buoyant personality is more than sufficient comepensation.

The Legislature goes back into session next Wednesday, for the day, specifically to whittle the budget into shape. I hope the chamber won't be as humid and stuffy as it was this week....


No comments: