"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 07, 2010

Tiny Dancers & Watchful Dogs

A very active weather weekend, lots of thunderstorms, heavy rainfall, tornado watches that (in our area) expired without incident.

Yesterday two young friends of mine were performing in their dance academy's annual show/recital. It was, I think, my 3rd year attending, so I've been able to track their improvement in skill and artistry. The pupils cover a vast age range, from toddlers to teenagers, and my girls are somewhere between.

A tap class.



Butterflies.



Turning to my friends' dad, I whispered that I desperately wanted my own pair of green butterfly wings.



The baby ballerina class. The concentration level--and the entertainment value--was very high. This group garnered the most applause of the day!




An intermediate class.



From the recital I returned to the Lodge, through some of the fiercest rainfall of the day (like driving in a car wash!) It subsided long enough for the dogs and me to have a safe and non-rainy drive up to the lake cottage for an overnight. The rains gave way to high winds, which raged in our Bay all night long but by morning they were gone.

Also gone is my fish Walter. The eggs have hatched, and tiny little baby fishies can been seen--very small fry indeed. Their proud papa has headed into deeper waters, I suppose. I tossed a couple of worms, just in case he's in the neighbourhood, but didn't get a rise.

I'm enjoying a pleasant, cool day--it's only in the 60's--while I tick a few project deadlines off my list. Later I'll head back to the Lodge, refreshed for what what is supposed to be the last week of legislating on the budget.

Jewel and Ruth are watching, in case the pirates--or sea monsters--attack.




No comments: