"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, July 28, 2005

As U2 might say....

"It's a beautiful day--ay--ay!"

Lakeside living at its finest.

Enough work--housecleaning, novel writing--to make me feel virtuous. A refreshing afternoon swim and bathe. Reading on the dock, and for once it wasn't too hot to sit there a good long while. The phone started working--my husband was finally able to phone me, after 24 hours of not being able to. (I could call out, he just couldn't call in.)

Plus, I discovered that my hat survived the storm!


I have this straw hat, part of my clothing collection here at the lake. It's been here 10 years, 15 years? Longer? The perfect hat, for me. The straw is neither too dark or too pale--exactly right. The brim is nice and wide. It fits comfortably. The black grosgrain band matches my swimsuit.




I left it outside yesterday, before the storm rolled in. At some point in the day I shed it and hung it on the metal hook protruding from a tree down by the dock. Then I forgot to bring it inside with me. The gale force winds blew it off the hook, but it fell straight to the ground. I guess was so weighted down by rainwater that it didn't blow away.

Today I found it lying safely at the bottom of the tree, sun-dried. The brim is curled up too much on one side, but it'll re-shape itself in time. I don't know how many times that hat has fallen into the lake, when I'm leaning over to check the thermometer, or looking at a fish, or the wind catches it and carries it into the water. It's none the worse for the occasional bath.

No comments: