"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, July 25, 2005

A Day Away

I spent most of today off the lake.

This was the one day this week when I had meetings on my calendar. So I had to dress up, rub on some make up, and gather up my papers and my portable keyboard and the digi cam and other necessities.

I visited the nonprofit whose website I'm administrating to photograph the executive director and her chocolate lab. The dog wasn't in the office today, so I could only took pictures of the human.

Between appointments I made some phone calls on my cellphone in my car. None was very productive. I was bummed to find out my hairdresser isn't open on Monday, thus I couldn't book my much-needed appointment. Let's just say it's a really good thing I'm hiding out on the lake right now.

Next I headed into the capital city. I went to the bookstore to buy Julian Fellowes' English upper class novel Snobs and a magazine featuring an article about a friend of mine.

Then I had a meeting to organise a strategic planning retreat for another nonprofit.

After that I went to the supermarket to pick up a few items for home, and a few items I needed here.

I stopped by The Lodge (our house) to drop off the groceries, hug the husband and kiss the dogs--and vice versa--and sigh over the empty phoebe nest, visible from our bedroom window. All 4 birds in the second brood flew off just this morning. I'd hoped for one more glimpse of them before they started their adult lives, but no such luck. That nest was a busy place--2 broods, 4 birds in each brood. That's 8 new phoebes created by the phoebe couple who faithfully return to the same nesting place.

I changed out of my city clothes and set out for the lake cottage in different garb driving a different car than I'd begun with so many hours earier.

On the way up, I spotted two intriging signs by the roadside.

One, at a small seasonal garden center, advertised the "ANNUAL SALE." I wasn't sure whether that meant this was the yearly sale, or whether all the annual plants were on sale. Either way, it's good news for a dedicated gardener like me!

The other sign, in the village, was hand painted. "HEATED APARTMENT FOR RENT," it stated, with a telephone number underneath. I thought about all the people who come to this lakeside resort only in summer, and might fail to understand the importance of heat, particularly on this, one of our hotter days.

Our summer-only residents don't see the lake in wintertime, when it's frozen so thick that small aircraft can land and take off at the seasonal airstrip at the tip of the bay. And when the ice fishermen drive their 4x4's across the surface of the lake. At that time of year, a heated apartment would be very appealing!

But planes land on the bay in summertime too. Like this one, right in front of my house:




I arrived here just in time to enjoy a gorgeous "Golden Pond" sunset.

Tomorrow I'm going to have to write. A lot. I need to make some progress on the work-in-progress. Otherwise, I'll have to stop using that term to describe it!

No comments: