"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A Chapter Finished, Another Chapter Begun

I achieved my writing goal for the day: completing an interminable chapter. It's not a long chapter, but it's taken a long time to write it. What's so odd is that it takes place in contemporary London...and all the day long, London is in the headlines, and not for the best of reasons. So I must constantly disassociate my fictional world from the real world.

After finishing the chapter, I started the next one. Even though I didn't get much farther than a chapter heading and a couple of paragraphs condensing the upcoming action.

Other things done today...I swam. It was awfully warm today, quite oppressive, and the 79 degree water felt nice. I'm sure it helped cool off my brain for the final push to the end of that chapter! I wanted to write on the dock, under the umbrella, while writing, but it was too hot and since the dock faces west, the afternoon sun wasn't so friendly.

I took photos of the baby phoebes in the nest. The parents were freaking out.




I shot one of the enormous spiders that hangs around under the eaves. They make huge and extremely beautiful webs, which I hate to disturb.





This web was strung across the red wheelbarrow.



I read some magazines. Listened to the BBC news on the Internet. Started the Julian Fellowes' novel--my reward for a good day's work.

I made a pizza. (Warning to the squeamish: you're about to see actual anchovies!)



I enjoyed a sunset.



I watched Rescue Me.

No comments: