"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Sunshine and Storms

The heat intensified...there was a steady breeze, but not a cooling one.

I finished off Snobs, which I greatly enjoyed. Then I continued writing my new chapter and got at least a 1/4 of it finished.

I tidied the place a bit, just in case some friends came to visit in their big boat. No such luck--probably the dire weather reports kept them off the lake today.


We have a lot of old stuff here, family relics. This deer trophy has been around a long time--there are photographs of it dating from the 1930's. I'm fairly sure it would be dead of old age by now, and reckon he's lucky to be so well-preserved and so much loved. At least by me. He's my friend.






I know how to wind the antique clock, but I admit it took me years to work up the nerve. With all this weaponry, we ready to handle any trouble that might come along....




About 4 o'clock the dark clouds rolled in. The sky went green, then black--I could see the weather before it got here. The wind picked up, waves started rolling in off the lake, and soon it was raining horizontally--at times I had to close all the windows on the lake side of the house, where the weather was coming from. I did my workout during the storm--standing in front of the open porch door. It was like being in a comfortably cool wind tunnel, because the temperature was dropping rapidly and drastically. A lightning strike came very close. I don't know how near this house it hit--the light and the boom were simultaneous--but it definitely set off the burlar alarm at a neighbour's cottage.


The rain stopped, the wind died down. No sooner had I opened up the windows than phase 2 started up. More wind, rain, heavy waves, whipping trees--all that dramatic stuff, but a lot less thunder and lightning.

The storm moved on pretty quickly, and the skies began to clear. The sunset over the mountains was absolutely gorgeous--a really interesting, atypical reddish colour towards the end, just before dark.

It's now as quiet, dark and silent as a tomb around here. One would never know how violent an afternoon it was! Virtually no boat traffic on the lake tonight.

And no telephone service either. Something to do with the storm, I suppose.

No comments: