"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, September 23, 2005

Da Doo Doo Doo, Da Dar Dar Dar


I finally made it to the store to pick up Dar Williams' new cd, My Better Self. I'm such a fangirl that I would have been grabbed it on the very first day of release, but that intention was thwarted by circumstances beyond my control.


And, even worse, I wasn't able to attend her recent concert. We saw her perform when she toured this area, prior to the last album, The Beauty of the Rain. How I would have liked to hear her perform the material from that and this new release, as well as older songs. But it wasn't meant to be.

The new cd was well worth the week-long wait. It's early days in our relationship, but phrases like "the best ever" are already floating in my mind. That's saying a lot, because I adored the one that came before. The tracks I like best are recognisably "Dar Songs"--Teen for God, which reminds me of my distant days at Episcopal Youth Camp and church retreats, and Empire, a peppy, poppy tune with a heavy message that relates all too well to current affairs.

Oh, and her cover of Comfortably Numb is fantastic, so well suited to her voice and style. It's a duet featuring the Righteous Babe herself, Ani diFranco--kewl!

Besides listening to Dar and updating a nonprofit's website to reflect breaking news about the looming Hurricane Rita, I found myself doing panic buying. Sort of.

My radio woke me with an NPR commentator, calmly opining that gas prices could rise to $4.00 within 2 weeks, given the threat to refineries in the Gulf. I weighed this news against pleas from officials that people not top up their tanks, to prevent shortages. After an analysis of my upcoming driving schedule, I opted to fill up.

With my discount card, the price per gallon came out at $2.68. If the dire predictions prove true, I'll cherish that receipt.

My sister-in-law, who borrowed one car last week, returned it with a full tank (thanks!) and at present it's still mostly full and not being driven. Our third car takes diesel, which isn't really gasoline, and is about half-full. I reckon my/our fleet is ready to get me/us where I/we need to go for the forseeable future.

No comments: