"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Talk About the Passion...

passiflora incarnata aka passion flower aka maypopI have a passion for passion flowers. Not surprising, I suppose: it's my mother's favourite flower, and I guess her preference rubbed off on me. They sprouted wild along the roadsides where I grew up. Maypops, we called them, because they formed a seed pod that could be stomped on to make a most satisfactory popping noise. The most beautiful, miraculous weed imaginable!


Last year I purchased two passiflora incarnata plants from a reputable mail order nursery, and planted them in a tub on my deck. Before the growing season ended they put out a few blooms. I brought the tub into the house, keeping it in a bright spot...after all the leaves fell off I cut the plants way, way back as instructed. During the winter, I kept those stubby stems alive with occasional waterings.

In spring, they sent out new tendrils and pretty leaves. After the "last frost" date, I shifted the tub onto the deck--adding a newly rooted tendril (which I accidentally knocked off). It grew like crazy, so now I have a third plant!

All summer long, I was rewarded with bloom upon bloom.


I've let one seed pod grow and ripen, and plan to pop it very soon.

my maypop

After a brief rest, many more buds formed--the first one (pictured above) opened this morning.


Lady MargaretSuccess went to my head. This year I bought the showy red one called Lady Margaret--how could I resist? The catalog claimed it blooms "spring, summer, and fall," which is perfectly accurate. It's delirious happy on the screen porch.


I found out there's a Passiflora Society International. As I'm growing only two varieties, they probably wouldn't want me as a member....But nice to know my mother and I are not alone in adoring this glorious flower!

1 comment:

Tess said...

Love the pics :-)