"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Head-banging is really helpful

Yesterday was grey and drizzling, with more rain on the way, and I had a tendency to play all the most wistful tunes on my Dar cd.

In need of a mood-enhancer, I visited an electronics/music discount retailer to pick up Green Day's current album, American Idiot. I meant to do it all summer, but for whatever reason it never happened.

And still hasn't happened.

Because there in the Green Day section, I found what I really needed: International Superhits!. The! exclamation! point! perfectly! illustrates! my! reaction! That's the disc that walked out of the store with me.


In my car, I ripped off the cd wrapper--with all the usual difficulties--and popped that baby into the player. I fast forwarded to my favourite Green Day tune of all time, "Basket Case," and head-banged my way to Kinko's to photocopy some reference materials. Incredibly, awesomely cathartic.


Later I sat through a two-hour meeting with some very dedicated, perfectly sedate people in a formal conference room. We got a lot done. And the whole time, I was mentally head-bangin'.

I made a late-night supermarket stop afterwords, to pick up some necessary provisions. With Green Day's guitars and drums pounding inside my head, I barely heard the lite listening muzak in the store.

Navigating my way home through a massive downpour (welcome to New England, Hurricane Rita--please move on quickly), I was singing along and banging my head and feeling great.

What an outstanding collection. All the stuff that made me love Green Day from the very beginning--and never, ever hear anymore.

No comments: