"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Floral Joys

The gardens are becoming quite colourful now, as the spring bulbs open.



These early daffodils light up my day!



The mild, pleasant weather means I'm working outside much of the day, postponing my research and writing for late afternoon or evening.

I've nearly finished my big clean-up of the rose and perennial beds. I haven't yet started preparing the vegetable garden. It's the New England tradition to plant peas on Good Friday...fairly sure I can manage that. Mine will be snow peas.

I've pruned my roses--the modern, re-blooming ones that need spring pruning. Most bushes only get the really harsh treatment every other year, and they were due.

My monster rugosas, on the other hand, get whacked down a foot or two or three every spring, and thrive on it. It's a very vigorous pruning session, good for taking out my aggressions in a productive way. When I take my shears to the rugosa hedges, they know they've been pruned. I don't consider myself a sadist, but the rugosas are definitely masochists. "Whack me harder, come on! I can take it!" In a few months they'll reward me by turning into a hedge of cerise-coloured blossoms--with a buzzing bumblebee nestled in every one.

Five new roses are due today via FedEx: 2 climbers, a gallica, a damask, and a polyantha. Four go in the ground (I'll be digging holes tomorrow!). The fifth will go into a tub on the porch.

It's another perfect outdoor day...nevertheless, I'm off to the city a bit later to do "city stuff." Shopping, meetings, mailings. Muttering at idiot drivers.


No comments: