"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, April 03, 2006

Sweets in Abundance

We enjoyed a nice, bright, breezy weekend. Saturday was my "puttering" day. I re-staked and fertilised my glorious fig tree (now fully leafed out and looking so content!) I pruned some leggy houseplants, potted up a tuberous begonia, planted some of the Marvel of Peru seeds, descendants of the ones I nicked in the Tradescant Garden during a visit to the Garden History Museum in London. I walked round our little lake, spying on the interesting waterfowl--hooded mergansers and ordinary mallards, mostly.

Yesterday after church we went to the bigger city for lunch at our favourite Mexican eatery and a tour of the current exhibit at the art museum. Then a very scenic drive home along the back roads. These cattle belong to an acquaintance of ours.



I finished Jim's Beautiful Madness and enjoyed it very much indeed. Exactly my sort of book, and with so many signs of spring round here, most inspiring.

Today my Easter gift from my husband was delivered.



It's a tin full of chocolate. (Sweets for the sweet!) What a hero he is!



It arrived so early, no telling how much will be left by Easter Day. However, if I exhibit the same restraint as I do with the Christmas tin, it won't all be gone.

There's another sweetness fanatic around here. A demented yellow-bellied sapsucker has spent days pecking our nice big hemlock. It's the same tree where Shakespeare the Owl perched, and the one the black bear climbs on his summer visitations.



Must get back to my novel. Today I'm grappling with rather a grim scene. The King has assembled all his illegitimate children round his deathbed, and not a few of his mistresses. In my opinion, the Royal medics doctored him into a premature grave. Perhaps they disapproved of his lecherous mode of living!


No comments: