"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Frenzied Gardener



Spent the entire weekend in a gardening frenzy.



Yesterday I:

--weeded
--divided, transplanted, or moved perennials and biennials (lily of the valley, columbine, lupine, lamb's ear, bee balm, lathyrus/perennial sweet pea, false sunflower, dicentra, cranesbill geranium, foxglove, Queen Anne's lace)
--created a perennial border along the back of the fence using divisions of the above
--fertilised the 17th century sweet peas growing in a tub on the deck (Matucana, Painted Lady)
--planted seeds (lovage, calendula, various poppies, annual sweet pea)
--re-laid all the rock edging along garden paths in the front rose garden
--re-laid the paths in the front and back rose gardens (many wheelbarrow loads of bark were moved)

And I saw our male cardinal and his missus sitting together in a tree. Kissing! First time we've ever seen a female, though recently we've sometimes heard them calling back and forth to one another.

Today (after church) I:

--purchased snow peas at the farm supply store
--divided and moved daylillies
--transplanted even more lathyrus/perennial sweet pea (it self-sows like crazy!)
--turned over the soil and otherwise prepped my vegetable garden
--planted snow peas

When the rain started, I came inside. Soon as I sat down with a cup of tea, I realised I was a bit weary. And yet...several of my indoor plants require attention.

So, while I'm

a.) gardening

or

b.) recovering from gardening




you may admire my snake's head fritillary, now blooming quite nicely in the front garden.

No comments: