"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Favourite Dog Book Author

The Chap received some awesome news yesterday, which I won't go into at the moment. We're very celebratory here at the Lodge. More on that later.

As you can see from a glance at my sidebar, I am a huge fan of Jon Katz. Like me, he loves and lives with Border collies--although mine have always been mixed breeds with BC the dominant breed. I've corresponded with him. At one time he was thinking of writing a book about women and their relationships with dogs, but then his life changed and he seems to have focussed even more intently on his own relationship with his dogs. And other critters.

There's some interesting stuff happening on the Katz front.

1. His new book, A Good Dog: the Story of Orson, Who Changed my Life was just published.



I first met Orson in the pages of A Dog Year, when he was called Devon. Unfortunately, I already know something about the book that makes me doubtful I'll be able to read it. I'll explain why in the comments box. So don't go there if you don't want to know. Warning: the Amazon reviews also contain the spoiler.

2. Next year there's going to be a movie of A Dog Year.

3. The movie stars Jeff Bridges. Good job, casting director! And it reminds me that I need to watch The Big Lebowski again.

4. It was shot on location at Katz's real farm in Upstate New York.

That's it for now, I'm away. More celebrating to do...more plans to make.


No comments: