"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Festive Weekend

We arrived at the Cottage on Thursday, the first of many sunny autumn days.

On Friday, our wedding anniversary, I took this photo from the living room window. The late afternoon sun was sparkling on the water, and the maple by the dock was glowing.



Saturday morning, I rose very early. There was a thick fog obscuring the mountains, and mist was rising from the water--extremely picturesque. I left the Chap and the girls at the cottage and began my journey round the lake to the church where the diocesan council retreat was taking place.

Here's the Bay, just south of the Point. In the center of the picture, surrounded by fog, is a loon. Probably the one we heard calling to us at 4 AM!



On the other side of the Bay, where I rarely go, I paused at a pullover marked Scenic View. When the day is clear, it's possible to pick out our cove and cottage. I was barely able to do it. But I did get this shot of the top of the Bay, where the clouds were doing marvellous things.



Good thing there was no traffic at that hour to slow me down! I made good time, considering how often I pulled over to snap photos. The vistas were extraordinary, just the right combination of cloud, mist, morning sun, blue sky, and bright trees.

The retreat was very successful, the food and fellowship outstanding, and we finished early! My homeward drive was slower, the leaf-peepers were out in force. But heavy traffic couldn't mar the beauty of the golden afternoon. Driving past the Scenic View spot, I didn't stop but I could glimpse our dock on the opposite shore.

The Chap and the girls were happy to see me.

Yesterday was another important anniversary--on a long-ago October 7, the day after I wedding, I first arrived at this wonderful, magical place on the lakeshore. In instantly knew how important and necessary it would become to me. A milestone well worth celebrating.


No comments: