"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, October 09, 2006

Parting Shots

I'm still contently inside my bubble of autumn beauty and lakeside peacefulness. But already I'm remembering my Real World responsibilities, and all the activities, uncertainties, delights, and challenges of the week to come.

As I said to a friend on the phone yesterday afternoon, "This may turn out to be the major momentous week of our entire year. So far." Perhaps an exaggerration. The next several days will tell.

But for now, I'm puttering about the cottage in my bathrobe, taking care of things left undone. I'll finish the final edit on my magazine article, polishing it up for submission tomorrow. I must clarify my answers for a candidate profile to appear in the newspapers, and choose a photo to send in with them. And I need to finish reading an 8-day old London Sunday Times, so I can throw it out. I'll pay particular attention to the "Culture" section, to see what's on in London...now that there's a chance of going over there in the next few weeks. One more thing that needs to be resolved this week....

Like every other morning, the body of water spread out before me is so clear and still that standing on our porch, high atop the hill, I can see the bottom of the lake.

Here are some favourite pics of the past 24 hours.

The cottage, from the dock, where the dogs are lurking.



A colourful spot by the shore.



The Big Boat heads up the Bay on Sunday afternoon, one of two "Leaf Peeper" cruises that passed by.



The way we conclude each and every day, sitting on the screen porch, watching the sun sink over the mountains.



Other than editing my article, I haven't done a bit of "work" for days. I brought some book stuff along, just in case I was in the mood. But I wasn't and don't feel at all guilty about it!

In the days to come, I will look back upon this calm, quiet time, with gratitude.


No comments: