"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Colour of April...

... is yellow.



Today's daffodil display is brought to you by the King Alfred variety.

These, and the petite daffodils pictured in my previous posting are lighting up my front garden.

Last night I attended my town's Board of Selectmen's meeting. During the reports by department heads--Health Officer, Welfare Officer, Fire Chief, Police Chief, Road Agent--we heard about the incredible property- and soul-destroying damage throughout the town. FEMA has already made it's initial pass through the area to assess, and the Governor toured the disaster zones over the weekend.

This morning I tore myself away from the garden and drove to the capital--a tree is flowering on the State House lawn!--for a morning Caucus followed by two public hearings in my committee.

Our Chairman is very good about involving all committee members in the process--writing blurbs, drawing up amendments, chairing hearings. Last week he asked whether I wanted to preside over one of today's hearings. I didn't say I didn't want to.

So at 10:45, the time of the second hearing, he ceded his place--and his gavel--to me. I got accustomed to being addressed as "Madam Chair" and concentrated on banging the gavel with authority. The first speaker was a Senator, the primary sponsor, followed by a representative of the Fish & Game Department, then the head of the Audubon Society (a slight acquaintance, the Chap worked with him for a couple of years) and a gentleman from the Nature Conservancy.

In the back of my mind I was wondering--though I never actually asked--when a female last sat in the Fish & Game Committee's chairman's chair. If ever. Last term there were, I believe, 19 men and 1 woman on F&G. This term it's 18 and 2.

After we recessed, we took our wonderful, efficient, hard-working, patient Committee Assistant out to lunch. Lots of people had the fried clams, which were rather good. However, I shall not reveal where we ate so no feelings will be hurt when I say that the place features the worst créme brûlée ever conceived. When my female counterpart on the committee and I heard what flavour it was (we would be sharing one between us), we dithered. It sounded dodgy. Because it really was. It was not of a créme-y consistency, nor was the top the least bit brûlée.

I never actually believed there could be bad créme brûlée. Now I do.

"It's more like a pudding," said my friend just before I laid down my spoon in defeat. Not even a good pudding. I let her finish it off.

On a happier note, this unnamed establishment restaurant was conveniently situated next door to the tire company that services our vehicles. So I left my Saab there while lunching and by the time I walked back to pick it up the snow tires were off and the regular tires were on.

I hope I'm not tempting fate. It's so warm and sunny right now, snowfall is but a dim memory.

Unbelievably, after all the flooding of last week the fire danger is extremely high and brush fires are breaking out around the state.

No comments: