"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Shopping List

A day at home enabled me to catch up with my Amazon UK shopping.

With the next--and final--Harry Potter story coming out this summer, I suddenly remembered I forgot to read the previous one. (My preference is always the UK version.)



A favourite UK novelist has released her second book, which is getting very good notices. (Her husband happens to be my favourite guitarist, Mark Knopfler, who is in the studio preparing his next album.)



I also bought a couple of "aural research" items related to historic incidents in my novel.

Almost as if I'd requested it, the Choir of the Chapel Royal kindly re-created the music played at the Coronation of King James II.



I also found the Choir of Winchester Cathedral's recording of court composer Purcell's music for the funeral of Queen Mary II, the daughter who deposed poor James. My female protagonist was a mourner in that that solemn procession.



I'll have to wait a while for these goodies to cross the ocean blue.

In the meantime, the young girls and I will rot our brains watching American Idol. Here we are, not-so-eagerly anticipating.



(Check out my groovy sock monkey flannel jammies!)


No comments: