"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Rest of the Story

The outcome of last night's excitement isn't too exciting.

I'm positive it was the bear. When I went out to the deck to retrieve my feeders, the dogs sniffed the air like crazy and made those very peculiar moaning noises that indicate they've got a whiff of something, and they aren't entirely sure what the hell it is.

It's my responsibility to keep her--our regular visitor is a sow--from becoming a nuisance bear, and I take it very seriously.

However, not wanting to cheat my readers a bear photo, I present taken during a benign encounter a couple of years ago.



This was a long, long Thursday. Arrived early at the State House--to avoid some crowds drawn there by controversy. The Senate was voting on the civil unions bill (which passed), as did the minimum wage raise (which I campaigned on).

Then I endured a 4-hour party caucus meeting to discuss the Governor's proposed constitutional amendment on education funding.

The Dungeon cafeteria had closed at 2 pm but my friend and I got there before they locked the doors. I bought two cookies just before they turned off the till, and called it lunch.

This afternoon I had my Big Schmooze, with the Speaker of the House. She's been inviting small groups of freshman (of both parties) to her office for some quality face time.

Got home at 5:00. Fed dogs.

Am about to make supper (spaghetti and calamari).

And bring in those bird feeders!


No comments: