"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Studies in Black and White

Crow.




Crocus.






This morning's sunshine does a world of good. Not only has it teased open the crocus, it warms my soul. The news is no better, but my mood is bright.

I'm struggling to master my overwhelming urge to play outside, tidying gardens and getting my hands dirty. Why not? Because I've got an article to edit and a novel to write.... If I make good progress today, then I can indulge my competing desire tomorrow and all weekend long, if I wish.

But I shall take my laptop into the sunroom.


~~~~~~~~

News Flash!


To stick with the colour theme of this post: What do you get if you mix black and white?

I've just seen the swift grey flash of a phoebe. It perched briefly on the fence post outside my office window, flicking "hello" with its tail.

Then I spotted another.

The male and female--perhaps our perennial nest-builders?

Checking my notes I find that in six out of the past twelve years, they've returned to us in this very week. I love their consistency!


No comments: