"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, May 28, 2007

Beer with a View

We walked, we napped (them), we read (me), we watched a re-run of Crufts 2007 on Animal Planet. Ruth and Jewel are avid dog show fans. Their pick was the flat-coated retriever, so I didn't have the heart to tell them that another, smaller dog won the championship. By Best in Show time, they were sound asleep. They still don't know the outcome.

At day's end, I treated myself to the giant bottle of Belgian beer I'd been saving for a special time.

I was first introduced to framboise in Brussels. It was an instant addiction. My life was never quite the same afterwards.

Ever since, the acquisition of raspberry beer has required regular crossings of the Québec border to raid SAQ. When in London, I've been known to clear the framboise shelf in the Selfridges wine/beer department and carry the stash back to my digs, to indulge with a bottle per evening, as my nightcap.

Then, wonder of wonders, a magical gourmet food and wine shop opened on Main Street, a block or so from the State Capitol.

Which is where I scored this ginormous bottle.



I used the beer glass most like the proper one for a lambic beer. In Belgium, each sort of beer has its special glassware.



Before quenching my need, I marvel at the rich, pink froth.



And then, over the course of the evening, I downed glass after glass, till it was gone.

For supper, I made a goat cheese, tomato and mushroom pizza.



It rained during the night, medium setting dwindling to low. The sound of raindrops hitting the bedroom roof is music to me.

After the rain stopped, in the wee hours--around 6 a.m.--two loons out in the bay called to one another.

Jewel heard them but didn't bark. By now, she's familiar with the background noises here.

A lovely bright morning on this day of remembering those lost in wars, of which there have been far, far too many--wars and losses.

No comments: