"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Sheep! Wool!

I spent most of this glorious, sunny, crystal-clear day at the 31st Annual Sheep and Wool Festival.

Sheep!


(The 4-H sheep judging.)


Wool!


(Lesson on how to roll up a fleece, after the shearing demonstration.)

More Sheep!


(Guess which one played the central role in the shearing demonstration?)

More Wool!


(There were dozens of vendor booths.)


But the real reason I attend the Sheep & Wool Festival?
To see the dogs.

Not only are there continuous sheep dog trials throughout both days of the show...



There's an informational sheep dog demonstration.



Dave and his son Colin, from Wellscroft Farm, put their five Border collies and several unruly sheep (deliberately chosen for their cussedness) through an amazing tutorial. These photos were taken during the noontime show.



On entering the Fairgrounds I met up with a couple of friends, both interested in acquiring sheep. One wants a pair sheep for his recently acquired farm. The other, owner of two young Border collies, would like to establish a flock at the monastery where he works. I really enjoyed traipsing from booth to booth, listening and learning along with them--although I don't aspire to become a shepherdess.

After one of the chaps left, the other shopped with me. After we ate lunch (grilled lamb) I drove him back to his farmhouse, which is in the vicinity.

Oh, I forgot--the alpacas were there, too.



Perhaps intended as comic relief?


No comments: