"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cheap Pumpkins and Free Tomatoes



I had an errand this morning that took me on one of my favourite drives, up to the ridge. It's an area of hills, forests, and farmland, with some maple sugar houses and large nursery garden operations--with row upon row of field-grown mums. The fauna included the Highland cattle up the road from us, the Jersey calves, Julie's sheep, and a bunch of Holsteins standing about chewing hay. Didn't see turkeys, as I often do along that route. The trees are definitely on the turn, some very fine colour already, especially vivid mixed in with all the green that remains.

I passed a farmhouse with an informal front-yard vegetable stand and noticed bins of ripe tomatoes. Decided I'd stop on my way back and choose a few...I had a small amount of cash on me to go in the honor box.

But when I stopped and got out of the car, I found dozens upon dozens of round, gleaming red tomatoes, plus a big magic marker sign in one bin: FREE. So I gathered up some smallish ones (pictured above), a few more than I would've done had I been paying.

At another farm, the sort of cute perfectly-shaped pumpkins I like best were piled up on a tree stump--the sign said they were 50 cents. I didn't stop there today but will next week when I pass it again.

At the sheep farm, an Igloo cooler was sitting on a card table. "Fresh Eggs!" I didn't need any. Maybe next week....

My passion flower is flowering on the screened porch...perhaps the last blossom I shall get from it.




No comments: