"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Reception at the Ambassador's Residence

Last evening we attended a reception at the residence of the French Ambassador to the United States.

I wore this:



It is a beautiful and quite large mansion with extensive grounds. I'm familiar with it from strolls through the neighbourhood, but have never been inside as far as I recall. My grandparents regularly attended receptions there.

His Excellency greeted us as soon as we entered and made us feel welcome.

Served with glasses of champagne, we wandered the rooms, greeting acquaintances and admiring the decor.



I especially liked this cheery, modern toile pattern on the sitting room curtains.



A portrait in the dining room.



An array of patisserie.



It was a beautiful evening and very pleasant on the terrace. The sunset in the distance added to the ambiance. Here's a view of the ambassadorial swimming pool.



Members of the French aristocracy were indeed present, a comte and a marquis. Possibly others. I've got a list of the attendees but have been too busy to study it closely.

After the reception, we enjoyed a late dinner with an old school chum of mine and his wife. My friend and I hadn't seen one another in a very long time, not since we were teenagers. We agreed we both look exactly the same. Only better!

Here's a glance at the back of the house in which I'm staying, shot from my bedroom window this morning.



This afternoon there's a river cruise. The weather couldn't be more perfect for it.


No comments: