"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Weekend

The dinner party with the Presiding Bishop was lovely and very well attended. I had the challenging duty of driving her and her canon in a blinding rainstorm at night, not something I often have occasion to do. Imagine my sense of responsibility--seated beside me was the Primate of the American branch of the Anglican Communion. Who also happens to be a licenced pilot. And due to the rain, little toads and frogs were hopping all over the roads. I think I managed to avoid them all.

We had a safe passage, and luckily the rain had subsided somewhat by the time I returned our distinguished guests to their hotel.

Here's my VIP (Very Important Passenger).



Yesterday morning I attended a service in the big Concord church, where many of our diocesan family assembled. Every hymn sung was a favourite of mine and Bishop Katherine's sermon dealt with angels--tomorrow being the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels. Michaelmas, in old Anglican language. Her concluding observation resonated with the congregation in a wonderful way.

I was set to lunch with a Seacoast friend but due to illness she had to cancel (feel better soon, S!). I proceeded to Lowe's to pick out paint colours for the bathroom. (A sign that the project is nearing its end? I wonder!) It was an easier task than I expected and when I returned to the Lodge armed with chips the Chap wholeheartedly endorsed my selections.

Spent the afternoon switching out summertime clothes for autumn ones. Which explains why the weather suddenly morphed from damp and chilly to damp and warm and muggy. Whenever I try to get a jump on the season, the climate abuptly changes back to what it was before I made the change.

My cool season clothes fit differently. It appears that skirts might need to be Taken In.

It's been a while since I've posted a dog picture. Here are Jewel and Ruth in cabin fever mode, waiting for me to toss the red ball.



Just before supper a toad hopped up onto our front step.



Jewel and Ruth were fascinated. So was I.

On NPR's Morning Edition, there was a lengthy interview with Dar Williams. On the webpage there's also a concert you can hear online if you're so inclined.

Hurricane Kyle is bearing down on coastal Maine. Not sure what impact it will have here, apart from more rain.


No comments: