"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, November 14, 2008

My Mother's Garden

The tour begins in the kitchen...with the sweetheart roses she picked for me.



Outside, I meet a chameleon sunning itself on an outbuilding. I like them better when they're green, but as they cross the wooden shingles or the bricks they change to a strange brown. this one is in an in-between stage.



Some sort of salvia.



Something else for the hummingbirds.



Love that bright blue!



Tea olive, or sweet olive. Many of these shrubs, great in size, grow on the property. I love them so much. The one I have at home is a tiny houseplant...but at least it blooms often!



The fabled sasanqua given to my father by my grandmother, because it blooms during his birthday. It was beginning to bloom on his Big Day and is covered with buds!



This is one of the English boxwoods grown from cuttings a dear family friend gave to my mother. She sent cuttings to me on my birthday this year, which now have grown into miniature boxwoods at the Lodge.



The maple tree. I can remember when it was planted.




No comments: