"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Sunday Stroll



I've been awake since 4 a.m. I've been in airports in 3 different states today. For top-secret security reasons I cannot yet divulge precisely where I am. But I managed a beautiful Sunday Stroll today.

I have a pleasant history of cardinals in my present location, and there was a flock here to greet me on arrival. Mostly females at the feeder and bird bath--this male was shy and kept close to the cover of the shrubbery.



My co-conspirator took me on a driving/walking tour in her very snazzy ride.



The area we covered was extremely familiar to me, but this afternoon I saw it from a different vantage.

The colours of autumn are very much on display in this place. I'm partial to New England's vivid show but can't be impressed by what we felt was "the prettiest tree" in this fair city.



This is a gingko tree. They are beautifully green most of the year, then bright, bright yellow.



And then one day the leaves all fall off, leaving scattered gold all over the ground. To soon for that.

Mostly I was searching for kudzu, the terror plant of this region, which clambers over everything, killing trees, bringing down buildings. I'm a bit concerned about this bridge....



Here I am experiencing the joy of kudzu before it starts crawling all over me and gripping me in its horrifying (and potentially lethal) embrace.



On foot we strolled--no other word for it--along the riverside where a lovely park has been created, with views across the water to a historic hillside cemetery. We saw dogs and their people, rollerbladers, cyclists, other strollers, kids playing.

And kids creating sidewalk art. A temporary installation.



My companion's father designed and created this artful bench...



decorated with glass inlay.



After a very long and pleasant stroll, we returned to the snazzy motorcar and did more driving past other familiar places. We stopped at a house. I dare not reveal additional facts. I was quite happy to find sasanqua in bloom--but of course! It's November.



I cut a bouquet for a special person.



I plan to deliver it tomorrow.

For other strollers, stop over here!


No comments: