"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Full Potential

What do I want to be when I grow up? Even before experiencing Ruth's popularity on Saturday, and ever since, I've been mulling over her future. We've explored various training options, trying to make the best decision. Although she's still a youngster, she seems temperamentally suited to public activities. If she proves as trainable as I suspect she may be, we're going to look into Therapy Dog certification. And if, after assessment by a trainer, that isn't right for her, then there's a chance she could be a part of the SPCA's school program. An SPCA staff member takes a dog into classrooms to teach kids the basics of how to treat your pet and proper animal welfare.

I've spent lots of time on the phone with experts--none of whom has actually met Ruth yet--and my own knowledge is rapidly growing.

Next month, we'll probably start Level 1 dog obedience. Depending on how things go, after graduation we'll perhaps take the Therapy Dog training class. (Level 1 is the prerequsite.)

Wish us luck!

She's a working breed, after all. She's compact enough to be easily portable, and she likes going places. And sweet and friendly as she is, it would be a privilege to share her with people who might somehow benefit from the encounter.

My family thinks I have potential!

My Sunday afternoon weeding session in the garden went well. I finished one whole bed--the biggest. I discovered there's a limit to how much Queen Anne's Lace even I can tolerate. It's obvious that a couple of years ago, I had a very laissez-faire attitude to the seedlings--now I've got these great saplings of it all over the place. I yanked up many and resolved to be more firm in the future! I also divided some lavender and moved it about.

Several more beds to go, but they'll have to wait.

Some of the roses are blooming or budded. The constant rain last night will make them happy.

My garden will never really reach its full potential, and that's all right. People who know about my lifelong obssession with horticulture and my rather spacious property, say, "Oh, you must have a beautiful garden!"

Not really. I have rather large, quirky, unruly gardens filled with many beautiful plants. There's a distinction between this, and "a beautiful garden." I'm never more aware of that than in late summer....

But in my eyes it's simply splendid, and that's what really matters.


No comments: