"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Icky Day, Pretty Rose

As usual on days when there's scary news out of London, related to the airport (as now) or the Underground (as last summer) I receive emails asking, "Where are you?" We're safe and sound at the Lodge, worrying about family and friends who are Stateside and about to cross the Atlantic, or living on the other side of the Atlantic and finding their August holiday travel disrupted by today's events.

We were very much surprised to learn that our usual Boston flight in and out of London--our regular taxi service back and forth two, three, up to four times a year--was not actually a target. Although today's flights were cancelled anyway. We've listened to the news bulletins and watched the televised reports with interest and a mix of emotions. Our sympathies are with those who are in transit today, and are being inconvenienced by the raised threat levels Here and There. Not to mention the unexpected seizure of hand luggage and surrender of all their lotions and potions, something that would freak me out. But which I would understand, in the circumstances.

While listening to the Beeb this morning, I cuddled the wee dog and we played Fetch, and Manic Border Collie Chase (the indoor and outdoor versions). Am focussing on good things and thinking happy thoughts.

Our hummingbirds are very active and exceedingly hungry. They are constant visitors to the Monarda (bee balm) growing at my office window, and zip back and forth from the feeders on the deck where we eat breakfast and the porch where I work during the afternoon.

We've also had some hawk sightings--the Chap and Lola and Ruth had a close-up encounter yesterday during a walk.

The chapter I've recently alluded to is finished and the next one underway. I've got an important meeting later, and I'm the moderator, meaning some prep work. Not sure how much progress I can make today.

I've been working on my sidebar, adding some New England blogsites, and I have additional links to add at some point soon.

Rose of the Day



William Morris. Here's another David Austin English Rose. I bought this mail order, at a massive discount from Jackson & Perkins a few years ago. It was a package deal, and I wasn't as keen to own this one as the other two in the package, thinking it would be too apricot-ty or peachy (yellow tones.) I prefer true pink hues, which work better with the blue and mauve and silvery perennials I grow in that particular bed.

But this year it has really come into its own, and in my soil it's definitely more pink than peach.


No comments: