"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hot, Hotter, Hottest

Another day of excessive heat warnings. Heard it might hit 100 degrees in the capital city, which I don't believe, but the southern part of the state might get there. At high noon, the mercury of our thermometer stood at 93 degrees. Doesn't sound so bad--I can't believe I'm saying that--except that the thermometer is in the shade. We're lucky we not in a city. I'm scheduled to be in the city tomorrow, when it's only supposed to be in the upper 70's. Heavenly!

The Lodge's two-legged and four-legged residents are all located on the lower level, in my office or his, strategically positioned near a fan. Our activity levels are way down, not a creature is stirring. Not even our bouncy Ruth. Lola drags herself around like a thick-coated husky on a sweltering summer day, as indeed she is and it is.

Yesterday we harvested our second cucumber (before the heat cooked it), and this morning our first tomato. We'll have both with our supper, which will be tuna salad. I did some baking yesterday--blueberry meringue pie--but not today.

At mid-morning, a pair of hawks was circling the treetops, making that funny sound of theirs. Probably they were squawking, "Hot enough for you?"

I've recently finished reading this very fine and fascinating novel, which I can recommend most enthusiastically. Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, has always fascinated me. Susan Holloway Scott provides the engaging, powerful--and accurate--portrayal that her grace deserves. Here's a book that lives up to the advance accolades it's receiving.


Plus, it was a timely release: this summer I'm glomming 17th century historical biography.

(Because I'm writing one, too.)

My teeny pink camera continues to amuse. The Chap pointed it at my office windowsill to snap this "still life with sheep."



A couple of days ago, I repotted my fig tree. I'd purchased an enormous yet lightweight tub and two bags of potting soil, the kind with fertiliser included. I managed the re-potting all by myself, and am pleased with the results. The roots, I discovered, were pitifully pot-bound, so although I was concerned about the fig making the transition to a bigger container while fruiting, it really had to be done. Using my blog archive, I checked the dates of when the figs ripened last year, and I think it will be about this same this season. It's got so tall and broad now, I must do a bit of research about the best time for pruning.

I also re-potted the Crown of Thorns plant the Chap gave me at Christmas, which has just bloomed again. It's thriving on the screened porch.

Rose of the Day



Winchester Cathedral. One of the many wonderful roses developed by English hybridiser (and rose inventor) David Austin. Created in 1988, this white sport of his ultra-reliable Mary Rose is a charmer, white and lush and fragrant with deep green foliage.


No comments: