"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, August 18, 2006

Handicrafts & Hummingbirds


When Ruth and I were up at the cottage on the Big Lake, we found a hollow tube of birch bark during a walk around the point. Yesterday, I transformed it into a rustic wall sconce and flower holder for the screened porch. All I had to do was staple the bottom, forming a pouch, and make a hole in the back so I could hang it. Oh, and pick some flowers to stick in a small, narrow vase. Eat your heart out, Martha Stewart!


This morning, breakfasting on the deck, I had company--a very handsome fellow!



And more company.



With two perches, you think the hummingbirds could eat together, but they are too territorial. One chased the other away and into the forest.



They spent the rest of the morning fighting for space at the feeder. Fortunately, there's another feeder by the porch, and plenty of bee balm in the gardens.

After eight full days of uninterrupted seclusion here at my Lodge on the little lake, I'm busting out today. Places to go, people to see, things to do.


No comments: