"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Activities

Yesterday morning I groomed myself into a semblance of a state representative and headed to the city. First I dropped off a fun (I hope) birthday present for the Bishop.

Then I crossed the two blocks to the State House for my very first signing ceremony.

The bill I co-sponsored quite literally reached the Governor's desk this morning. As it's a high-profile one--designating the traffic circle/roundabout in my town a memorial to two police officers killed in the line of duty (a decade apart)--this was a high-profile event. In attendance: the Senate sponsor, 3 of the 4 House Sponsors, the parents of one fallen officer and the mother of the other, the police chiefs from my town and the state's largest city, 3 other Senators, a former Speaker of the House, assorted staff, and what looked like most of the State House press corps.

After the Governor's remarks, the Senator (primary sponsor) spoke. Then I spoke, very briefly. (My words were lifted--and slightly revised--from my speech to the House, the day it unanimously passed the bill.)

The ceremony was featured on the local evening news.



In case you can't tell, I'm the one standing to the left of our town's chief of police.

Afterwards I attended a House Continuing Education forum on Committees of Conference. By the time it was over, I was more knowledgeable about them, but absolutely terrified of ever being named to serve on one. Which seems highly unlikely.

Had a quickie doctor's appointment, then drove to a major discount retailer whose name begins with "Wal" and ends with "mart". I'd been told the garden centre had fantastic tomato plants, a highly accurate report. I picked up half a dozen. I also found, unexpectedly, the very toile fabric I dreamt about for upholstering the heirloom rocking chair on the porch. (Now I need to find an upholsterer....) I bought two six-packs of cider. And other stuff.

Nearly home, heading up the hilly part of our road, I spotted a furry brown marmot--also known as a groundhog or woodchuck--scurrying along the "driveway to nowhere". (It actually leads to a seasonal dwelling, but you'd never know.) I didn't have my camera, so you'll have to trust me: he was very cute, his entire body wiggled as he moved, and he must be very warm in that thick fur coat.

At the Lodge I discovered that three bare-root rose bushes had arrived in my absence. I soaked the roots in a tub overnight and will plant them out today. Cursing those wretched blackflies the entire time, I'm sure.

On a brief, buggy inspection this morning, I spotted the snowshoe hare. He's no longer snowy at all, but entirely brown.

And I found this.



May not look like much--yet--but these wisteria buds satisfy a 7-year wait. This vine has never bloomed. I won't say I'd entirely given up hope, but I've come close. Last year I drastically root-pruned it, I've always branch-pruned it according to all instructions I've read. I got nothing in return but vigorious, twining tendrils and abundant leaves.

But now, the promise of those dangling flowers has actually appeared. I hope that promise will be fulfilled in the fullness of time.




My sister-in-law arrives today from the Twin Cities. And the Chap returns. But probably not in that order.


No comments: