"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, May 24, 2007

In My Garden

Forewarned that the temperature may reach 90 degrees today, I stepped into my garden to immortalise the remaining spring flowers. Despite the black flies, I might add.




The heat, which will surely blast my pretty tulips, will also shorten the evil, fearsome reign of those biting, bloodsucking little buggers!

My bleeding heart plants are just now coming into their own. This one is beside the steps of the big deck.



Almost a week of rain made my roses very, very happy. The heritage varieties are leafing out like mad, and those that were killed to the ground (some, but not all of my David Austins and floribundas) are sending up strong, healthy new canes. Within a few weeks, I shall be able to reprise my "Rose of the Day" feature!

The scarlet runner beans--planted in a tub on the deck--have sprouted. They grow like Jack's beanstalk, and by the end of today will probably be several inches taller than they are this morning. Like magic!

I can assure you that the very newly published novel my cousin wrote is definitely living up to those intriguing pre-pub mentions from the blurb in the New York Times toEntertainment Weekly. And everything in between!


No comments: