"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Anniversary of Ruth & other matters

A year ago today, our sweet, lovely, loving Ruth--aka "The Love Dog"--came to live with us.

Such a kissy-kissy, huggy-huggy happy-happy day.

She seems really glad to be part of our family.



In fact, she's quite exhausted from all the joy.



For me, today was a combination of labour and of ceremony.

I zipped to the city this morning and spent several hours at the diocesan offices, stuffing 300+ folders for the participants at our Spring Event. It's coming up very soon, and will be an opportunity to attend my very first U2charist! I and my two co-workers stuffed cheerily through the morning and into the early afternoon. After they left, I wrapped up.

By then a documentary film crew was setting up to film a portion of a documentary featuring our Bishop. It was interesting, chatting with the producer/interviewer, who spoke frankly about the state of his profession (which used to be mine, too.) I would've loved to linger--the sight of film cameras, lightstands, and cables gets my juices running....

But, I headed across the street to the Legislative Office Building to take care of an errand.

Soon I was crossing another street to the Historical Society building for the unveiling of a former governor's portrait. (Our one and only female governor.) I joined what soon became a huge and happy crowd, saw quite a few other legislators, current and former senators, former governors as well as the incumbent.

Here's what was revealed by the fall of the curtain.



This picture of the picture doesn't half do it justice. She was there in the flesh, and both she and her portrait were completely gorgeous. I look forward to admiring the painting after it is placed somewhere in the Governor's chambers...where I expect to be in the near future, for the signing ceremony of a bill I co-sponsored.

After a quick nibble (baklava, yum! fig stuffed with smoked almond, double yum!) and a brief few words with the present Governor, I headed to the next ceremonial event: a groundbreaking.

The affordable housing nonprofit whose Board of Directors has the Chap for its Chairman was breaking ground on Phase Two of the residential development that was dedicated/opened a couple of months ago. Many of the same people were there, and the Chap's remarks were equally charming. Yet again, he acknowledged yours truly as his "favourite member of the House of Representatives." Well, he's my favourite constituent! And looked very distinguished in his ceremonial hard hat while plying the ceremonial shovel.

Then it was back to the Lodge to throw on some warm flannels (it's so cold and damp) and feed the beasts--if not in that order.

My commuting music this week has been Amy Winehouse.. I'm a Good Girl, but I love Bad Girl music. She's retro and hip all at the same time. I'm not sure I'd want to party with her...she sounds a little wild and woolly, I couldn't keep up...but I love singing along with her.

Today, however, I mixed it up with the Best of Oingo Boingo.

Did I mention that yesterday's House session ran till 6 p.m.? Could've been worse, I knew we were in trouble when the debate on the first bill of the day lasted for an entire hour! And late as it was when we were done, the majority leadership hosted a lovely reception for the freshmen, with decadent food and flower displays.

In the current events department, I'm devastated about Melinda Doolittle not making the final round of American Idol. I wondered if it might not turn out that way. She'll go on to far greater things, no doubt about it. But I wanted so much for her to win. Now, I simply don't care what happens, nor does the Chap. No more votes will be dialed in from the Lodge.

The Chap just came home with groceries and something for supper. Better go find out what it is! We haven't dined together for days. And I'm a bit weary of party food after living off it all week long!


No comments: