"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, June 29, 2007

Change of scene...and temperature

Arrived at the Big Lake this morning, the car heavily laden with three dogs and dozens of roses, as well as perennial sweet peas, lavender, catmint, and daisies to adorn the cottage. And manuscript pages. And food for a weekend of feasting and festivity.

Ruth was squealing for her walk from the moment we got here, so I settled in as fast as I could and took her and Jewel. Lola's old bones can't take the paved portions of the road and I didn't want to lame her again, so she stayed in the house taking a nap in the kitchen.

Because I wore my activity monitor, I now know the distance we cover on our usual route. From the cottage door to the hilltop of the the Point, then up and down the hill where the Minority Leader lives and back to the cottage equals .89 miles. I can also tell you how many strides it is: 2300+. I also know that our walk only burns 80 calories. Doesn't seem fair.

Ruth went swimming from the little beach. Crazy swimming--like she was headed for the west side of the Bay. Jewel didn't swim, exactly, she went in up to her chest. I went in up to my knees--keeping up with Ruth.

She and Jewel found a giant dead fish on the shore and sniffed at it before I managed to pull them away. I wish people wouldn't leave their dead fish lying around. Catch it and release it. Or take it home and eat it (if you aren't afraid of mercury.) But don't leave it around to get bloated and rotten and stinking and flybitten, which only entices curious young dogs.

When we returned home, I put on my gorgeous new swimsuit and went in the Lake. I was the only person in the Bay. The water round our dock is 72 degrees, same as the air temperature. I thought Jewel might come in after me but she just sat on the dock watching me with bewilderment. We all sat there for a while, watching the lake and the ducks and the swallows and the occasional motorboat or sailboat or small plane. I tried to read a book, but I couldn't focus on anything else but the view. Oh, my, it's nice today. Pictures to come later. Right now I'm recharging my camera batteries.

This is a birthday weekend (not mine), and this seemed the best place to celebrate. Our celebrant will arrive in approximately 1 hour, with a carload of Singapore curry noodles from Ping's for tonight's dinner.

Here's the link to that newspaper photo of Carol Channing singing in Representatives Hall.


No comments: