"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 04, 2007

Rain, Rain

Sunday, the second half of my weekend was as busy as the first. More so: on Saturday, one event took up all my time. Yesterday, the activity was spread over the day and spilled into the evening.

In the morning, a lovely Trinity Sunday church service with an excellent sermon by our priest. As usual.

In the afternoon, I attended a dance school recital. The daughters of our friends were performing. It was a long and varied program, with dancers of all ages, most enjoyable. The little girls had the best costumes!



From there I went to Kohl's and--at least--found a suitable white handbag for summer. (Not that it looks or feels like summer, but I live in hope!)

Then to the big church in the biggest city for a confirmation service. A huge group--43 people were either confirmed or received as Episcopalians, included 4 from my own congregation.



We were in one of the larger church buildings in our diocese, and I don't think there was a space to spare in any of the pews! The Bishop preached an amazing sermon--as usual--on the Trinity. The choir was magnificent. The incense was--well, overpowering, to be perfectly honest!

Last night I watched the Presidential debate on telly. It felt strange, because I'd seen at least half of those people, or more, in person the day before. And by now have seen every one of them in the flesh.

By 9:30 this morning I was standing on the damp grass of our town's traffic circle/rotary/roundabout, greeting dignitaries and local citizens and waiting for the dedication ceremony to begin. This was the culmination of the effort to name the circle and portions of two highways for the two young police officers who served this town together, but were killed on duty a decade apart. The event drew a vast crowd of uniformed officers--even some policemen mounted on horses. The Governor was there, and many Senators, Representatives, department heads, selectmen. And of course, the media.

The ceremony began at 10 and lasted for about an hour. All the remarks were terribly heartfelt and moving. The chilly, rainy atmosphere somehow seemed appropriate. "Taps" was especially poignant.

Returned to the Lodge to carry out some long neglected tasks--editing and submitting photos to various publications and internet sites, typing and sending out meeting minutes, printing out reports and a budget for the meeting I've got tonight. (Not looking forward to going out into the rain again.)

My sister-in-law spends the night with us. Forgot to mention the other day that she visited the State House last Wednesday to observe a small portion of our House session. I delivered her name to the House Clerk in advance, so she was among the "Offical Guests" that were formally recognised at the opening. Which means her name will be printed in the official record.

Come and watch me in action, I'll do the same for you!


No comments: