"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Puttering and Planning

House of Reps.
Yesterday was our next-to-last House session for this year. As usual, it lasted longer than it should have done. We legislated through lunch--either concurring with the Senate on bills. Or not concurring, in which instances the Speaker appointed a Committee of Conference. We then adjourned for the Speaker's Ice Cream Social. I had black raspberry--so scrummy I went for seconds!

The Rocking Chair Chronicles
Afterwards, I stopped at the upholsterer's shop with my family heirloom rocking chair. I'd bought the perfect fabric only to find I hadn't got enough. Whereupon I went shopping again and found a similar fabric which I bought in quantity. However, I don't like it as well. (It's potentially useful for a chair up at the cottage, however.) Today I shall seek Goldilocks' choice, the one that's "just right."

International Fame & Fortune
My agent's Foreign Rights Department informed me of a another sale to Slovakia; contracts on the way. And I've had a recent infusion of Russian royalties.

Health Report
After 8 days my head cold--what a misnomer that is--appears to be improving. I feel at least partly human for the first time in well over a week.

Hare Today
He/she/they pop up all the time.




Turtle Alert
Jewel sounds the alarm--if she spies them. She was oblivious the other day, when we had three different turtles laying eggs around the property.

Purple Perennials
Irises in a back garden.



Lupine in the front. Please note the shy bumblebee, lower left part of the spire, who wasn't keen about Internet exposure.



Talk about the Weather
Yesterday was grey, drizzling, cold. Never got out of the 50's--which the weatherman said was April weather. Today's not much better, mostly cloudy with bursts of pollen. Where's summer?

Cottage plans
Next week I'll be there...when it's supposed to be a lot warmer and drier than it is now.

Québec is Calling
The Chap must be in Montréal later in the summer and I'm going along as well--to increase my stocks of Belgian beer and purchase other luxurious and/or exotic items unavailable here.


No comments: